Monday, March 12, 2007

So this is my decision...

I'm a dreamer--always have been, always will be.

As a child, I was always fascinated with different cultures and foreign languages---especially French culture. However, growing up in Arizona, one was almost obligated to check the "Beginning Spanish I" box when signing up for the mandatory foreign language classes in middle school. From the very beginning, I loved it! I loved it so much that I continued to take Spanish throughout my high school career and even in college.

When I started college I decided that everyone and their brother knew Spanish, so I wanted to do something more---that's when I decided to take French, actually, not just take French but minor in it(while at the same time majoring in Spanish and Business-talk about an extra work load that I didn't even need to have). The fall of my Junior year I was fortunate enough to spend a semester abroad in Granada, Spain where I lived and breathed the Spanish culture everyday. It was one of the greatest times of my life--not only did I get to reside with a Spanish family, I got to experience the Spanish way of life as a young 20 year-old (it's safe to say that I put down my fare share of "chupitos gratis".

Anyway, before I get too off track, while I was in Spain I travelled to Paris for 4 days---it was the greatest experience ever! Aside from the hostel situation (the toilet was broken on our floor and the shower leaked and drenched our towels) it was INCREDIBLE! Needless to say, my love for French culture multiplied, and I told myself that "One day, I am going to live in Paris". Fast forward two years and here we are---recent college graduate (magna cum laude) with double majors, a minor and international business certificate... sans job! I have to be honest, I didn't really try that hard to find one. I had a pretty intense interview experience with the CIA that lasted for about 6 months , but after making it out to D.C. for 3 days of rigorous interviews, 4 weeks later I found out that I was "no longer competitive" for the position. Truthfully, I was disappointed, but relieved at the same time. I'm a "blabber", and my family knows everything that goes on in my life. I just couldn't see myself living a lie and not being able to tell my family what I was doing, where I was, etc. But it was definitely an experience, to say the least!

So could I have gotten a job that would have paid a decent amount, moved out of Arizona and started my life as a career-driven woman? Sure. Would I have been happy sitting in an office all day, doing the same monotonous task day in and day out? Doubt it. In the back of my mind I still had this itch to go abroad. I had several opportunities to teach English in Columbia and Venezuela, but the political and economic conditions worried me a bit, to say the least. Besides, if I was going to live abroad and work somewhere that didn't speak my language, paid next to nothing, and was in a career field that I didn't necessarily plan on ever doing in the future, then I was going to make darn sure that it was at least in a city that I wanted to be in: so that's where Paris comes in.

After doing a lot of research on working in Paris, I pretty much concluded that it's almost next to impossible for anyone outside of the EU to have that kind of opportunity. But as that door seemed to be closing in my face, I was determined to find a window that was just big enough to crawl through. And I did. My options were few, but they were at least that; "options". So what were my choices as an american looking for work in Paris? be a teacher or become a nanny- or should I say an "au pair"- (the french always manage to turn the least glamorous jobs into something that at least sounds impressive). After looking into it, the teaching thing fell through unfortunately; very slight chance of actually teaching in Paris, and definitely not a large enough stipend to live on in that city. So I finally decided to go with my final option; become an au pair.

Sure I've heard horror stories about being an au pair, but I've also heard that it can turn into something unforgettable and amazing. I know it's going to be hard work, that's for sure, but hopefully the pros will outweigh the cons. All I'm looking for is to have the chance to live in Paris, experience french culture first-hand, and become fluent by the end of my stay. And besides, IT'S ONLY ONE YEAR---and I'm young.

Unfortunately, the only downfall to this whole thing is that I'm letting most of my family down. 99% of my family is worried that I'm "throwing away my education" and using this as a means "to not grow up and enter the real world". Of course I see where they are coming from, and can understand their frustration. But if this is the only way that I can get to live in Paris right now, than I'm more than willing to make the sacrifice in order to turn this dream into a reality. Fortunately, even after they've told me time and time again that they "don't agree with it", they will undoubtedly support me if this is what I want to do- and that's why I am so thankful for each and every one of them--no matter how opinionated they may be at times :). I know they worry about how this is going to benefit me in the future without setting me back, but so do I. What am I going to do when I return from Paris? Who knows. But does life always manage to have a funny way of working itself out? yes.

So there you have it. I'm going to Paris. I'm going to be an au pair. I'm going to get paid very little and work very hard. But I'm going to Paris!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Dani,
I beat Mike and my Mom posting a comment too. It's too bad that the only people that have posted are your family, but it's only been like a couple hours. I'm soooo excited that you're going to Paris. Make sure to send tons of pics of you working as an au pair LOL. I can't wait to see those. I hope you have tons of fun.
Love Ya,
Courtney (the little blonde kid)

Anonymous said...

Hey big sis I think this is a good idea cuz it means I can come and see you(If you pay for me haha. Just remember all those time you had me and Mike do the dishes it's coming back to haunt you now because this means cleaning for lil miss princes haha but i can help if you pay for me to come to see you :).Im proud of you and I hope that this will work out for you.I love and miss you.
Love your lil and bestest(I don't think thats a word ha)bro Nick

Anonymous said...

Dan,
I'm amazed that you have the technological mind to create all of this. To be honest, this is my first interactive experience on a blog! I know... how out-dated am I?! I just wanted to put my 2 cents in and tell you just how proud I am of you. Usually in life, the most difficult decision to make is to make a decision. You've taken the first step, and I know you'll be incredibly successful. I wish you the best of luck, and I look forward to tracking all of your experiences on this blog!

Love ya!

Your cuz, Kelly