Wednesday, April 18, 2007

It's a Big Old World...

It's a great, big, old world out there and I want to see it ALL.

(Many of you may already be familiar with the latest advances in technology that allow you to basically stalk ANYONE you choose, but if you're not, let me tell you something...YOU ARE MISSING OUT! Thanks to the likes of Facebook and MySpace, I am able to track the every moves of everyone ranging from my best friends to kids I haven't even talked to since elementary school. With such ease, I am able to keep up with the latest events such as which of my sorority sisters spent the weekend living it up in Vegas, who recently got engaged, and what the future career plans are for the soon-to-be college graduates).

Anyway, before I get too off track and completely destroy any ties that I may have had to my opening line, let me try and explain where I'm going with this...As I was taking part in my daily ritual of checking my friends' profiles on facebook, I came across T's newly updated profile (she is currently living in Colombia and about to take a tour through South East Asia). From there, I learned that three other of our acquaintances are looking to, or already have, moved abroad. One just moved to Germany, another is returning to Spain (soooo jealous) and the third is planning on getting an internship ANYWHERE outside the U.S.

As I re-read over all of this new info, goosebumps run all over my body as I imagine what it's going to be like in Paris. I have such big dreams of living and working abroad, but as of late, I have started to get a little nervous. Nervous about finding a family; scared about the unknown. But as my goosebumps subside, I realize that I have to follow through with this. Every time I hear about someone working in another country I feel a sense of excitement (and a bit of jealousy) within. I LONG to fulfill this dream of mine but sometimes it just seems so out of reach.

But it's all going to come together. It has to. Studying in Spain was just the beginning. Its now two years later and I'm getting ready to embark on another, more complex journey.After Paris, who knows where my next journey will take me.

So as I look at the map of the world I start to draw check marks over the places that I've been. U.S., Spain, France, Italy, England, Vatican City....with 187 countries left, I'd say I've got a long way to go. But I'm DEFINITELY up for the challenge.

Like I said, it's a great big world out there---and I'm determined to see as much of it as I can!

No comments: