Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Longing for A Return to Innocence


It’s days like yesterday and today that leave me longing for the innocence and naivety of my youth; a time when life was so simple, so peaceful and so carefree. As I glue my eyes and ears to the television set, I can't help but think back upon my childhood and how “safe” I felt.

The days of my youth were spent playing with barbies, picking on my younger brothers, and running from one soccer game to the next. The biggest thing I had to worry about was finishing my homework with enough time to still go out and play with the neighbors before dinner.

But somewhere along the way, I grew up. Life became more complex and I started to realize that life isn't always kind to people.

The world is not perfect.

Bad things happen to good people.

And most of the horrific events that occur during this lifetime will leave us asking "Why?" without ever offering up an answer to our questions.


Unfortunately, yesterday will go down in U.S. history as one of the most horrific shooting sprees to ever occur in our country. Marked by a cowardly act that ended too many lives all too quickly, the face of Virginia Tech, as well as this nation, has been forever changed by this tragedy. To the faculty, staff and students of Virginia Tech, may you find comfort and strength in knowing that this entire country has you in our thoughts and prayers. And to the families of the victims, may God give you a little extra strength to get through this horrific time.

No comments: