Thursday, June 14, 2007

Kinda like baking soda and tomato juice

If you've ever been a blond, you're well aware of our love-hate relationship with chlorine.

As the summer heat rises to a sweltering 110 degrees, most of us can only find relief in one thing; our swimming pools. As a native Arizonan, I am more than thankful for chlorine- without it, there would be no birthday parties at waterparks or lazy Saturday afternoons spent lounging by the pool; for our crystalline pools would look like a Florida swampland covered in green fungus with god-knows-what lurking beneath the surface. Unfortunately, this chemical that is supposed to keep our swimming pools free from any green algae does the exact opposite to our hair color- it turns it green!

For the last week, I have been walking around the office, listening to my co-workers tell me how awful my hair looks.

"Danielle, I am so sorry, but your hair looks HORRIBLE!"

"Oh man! What did you do? Your hair looks like green horse hair."

Alright- I got it, I HAVE GREEN HAIR!!! So to attempt to fix this problem I went to the local beauty shop and asked for some help. After some contemplating, I decided to opt for the cheaper bottle of chlorine-eliminating shampoo- only after having been promised by the clerk that it would work "just as well as the expensive brand". Well, low and behold, it did nothing except for make my hair look like green straw. So today I finally did what I should've done in the first place- I called my hairdresser.

"You're kidding me right?" I said to the man on the other end.

"No seriously, just mix them both together, let them sit in your hair for 5 minutes, rinse thoroughly, and you'll be as good as new!"

Alright I thought to myself- better go and find me some baking soda and tomato juice...

Well, now it is 9 o'clock at night and I have yet to unwrap the towel that covers up my hair. What's it going to be? Green? Blond? ORANGE?!?!?! I'm almost too afraid to look. But before I sign off, I guess I should try and get to the point of my story.

This whole concoction really got me thinking; life is kind of like baking soda and tomato juice: Just when you think two things couldn't be more wrong for each other, they surprise us and form together to make perfect sense (and if you're lucky, they might even make you blond!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha Ha. You hair turned green?! I'm sorry. I've had that happen to me on more than one occasion. I hope the baking soda and tomato juice worked.
The Little Blonde Kid