Thursday, June 14, 2007

Is it wrong to dream?

I've been a dreamer all of my life- always dreaming about exciting adventures around the world, falling in love with my prince charming and living a life full of love and luxury- but at times I wonder if all of this dreaming is setting me up for disappointment?

If I don't exactly "fulfill" my dreams the way that I've always planned, am I going to be unhappy? Or do these dreams give me the strength and perseverance I need in order to conquer the world?

Sometimes I think my dreams are what get me through the day. They offer the perfect escape from reality when I need it the most. Instead of the monotony of the day, I can slip away for a few minutes and dream about whatever I want...in a flash, I'm sitting in the grass underneath the Eiffel Tower, reading a book in French while my true love runs his hands through my hair and stares at me with loving eyes.

But there are other times when I feel my dreams are holding me back. I want to be successful. I'm not sure in exactly what field, but whatever it is, I want to be the best. In my dreams, I'm already at the top, traveling the world for business and getting to do all of the "glamorous" stuff that comes along with being at the top. But in reality, I don't get to start at the top; I have to start at the bottom--something my dreams never prepared me for.

So what if my dreams never become reality? Will I be disappointed if all of my dreams don't come true? Or will I be appreciative of what I have, knowing that no matter what happens, no matter where I may be, I can always take a break to dream...

1 comment:

blackcrag said...

No, it is not wrong to dream. Like you, I constantly daydream. I daydream so much, it might be why I never seem to dream at night. But that's not at issue here.

Daydreams help keep you sane. That let you do and say things you'd love to say to someone in real life, good or bad, that, for whatever reason, you can't.

Daydreams help you plan. There are things you want in life. How else are you supposed to achieve them if you don't dream of how you want it to be first? If and when you do achieve it, it won't be as you imagined, which can be a let down, but it also can be better, because now you are actually experiencing it in all its real colour, as opposed to your previous rose-coloured imaginings of it.

Daydreams can hold you back. If all you ever do dream, and never try to achieve even the smallest of your daydreams, then you will grow resentful, because your life isn’t what you want it to be (been there, done that, have since acted on it). But, keep in mind, some daydreams are just supposed to be daydreams, all that’s all right too.